Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Everyday (Still) Matters and Trash

I'm picking up the Everyday Matters challenge where I left off last summer.

EDM 40: Cupcake paper (so. many. folds.)

EDM 41: Big Blue Bug visible from highway but drawn from photo, EDM 42: My dishwasher.

Just to give a little background, Everyday Matters is a drawing challenge inspired by artist Danny Gregory, author of Everyday Matters, to document everyday objects and moments that we might otherwise take for granted. There are 328 challenges/ prompts. People all over the world are doing it and many are sharing their drawings at the Everyday Matters Flickr group.

I like to think of Everyday Matters as "Every Day Matters" as in "Every day matters so carpe diem and draw dammit," but alas that's not what it is officially called. You'll see it spelled both ways in my journals though.

Trash collages 1-4

Last night I hopped onto the 365 Somethings Project on Flickr. Everyone in the group is committed to making 365 Somethings. I've chosen to make little collage treasures out of things I've either pulled from or diverted from my trash.

Trash collages 1-4 are made from tops, glue, and some have glossy medium.
  • Top left is a beer bottle cap with a clipping from a previously clipped dictionary page and sequins a friend was tossing out. Okay, those sequins almost ended up in the trash 15 years ago, but they're still sorta trash.
  •  The two big ones are the ends of a crescent roll package. (We had yummy vegan piggies in a blanket for lunch this Saturday!) Sparkle is a clothing tag, more of the same sequins, red acrylic paint, and gesso. Kitty is a magazine clipping and a goofy googly (third) eye.
  •  The yellow one is my favorite. It's made from the top of a canola oil bottle with magazine clippings, yarn scraps that were almost trashed at work, and more sequins. I have A LOT of sequins!
These are fun warm ups. I'm not naturally inclined to collage so they get me out of my comfort zone, which I like. I look forward to making more.

Thanks for checking out my creations. Huggles!

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited about this blog and the 365 somethings project. I find blogging really helps me stay accountable, doing things as a group is what I need, and comments like yours are encouraging, so I am sure it will be a fun success! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete